Does the fat around your inner thighs make you feel uncomfortable? It is time to shed the irritating, stubborn, upper-leg fat so that you can confidently walk without your thighs slapping against each other. Here are some effective tips for men on how to lose thigh fat.
Although body fat can be distributed evenly, you may have more fat in specific regions than others, for example, thighs. Thigh fat, like any other in the body, is not solely gender-influenced. Therefore men as well as women are faced with the challenge of getting rid of this unappealing and irritating fat that particularly causes discomfort during walking.
What Causes Thigh Fat?
Genetics is one of the reasons why your legs and thighs have excess fat (7). Using legs less often results in the muscles being inactive, therefore, fat accumulates around the thighs and legs. Other than being less active, thigh fat is also a result of eating junk food that is high in fat. If you realize this describes your current situation, do not despair. Luckily, we have thigh-blasting moves will maximize your leg training results and help you lose thigh fat.
How To Lose Thigh Fat For Men: Get Rid Of All That Extra Weight Around Your Inner Thighs
Are you interested in how to lose thigh fat for men quickly? You may be just a few days away from your dream vacation or a beach party, and you want to rock that new pair of shorts and take many memorable pictures. However, that leg fat is making you less confident, and you want to get rid of it ASAP. We do not give tips on how to rapidly lose thigh fat in 4 days for men because this rapid weight loss is not sustainable and may not be beneficial in the long run. Here is how you can progressively achieve your desired thighs.
How To Lose Weight In Thighs: Appropriate Physical Activities
According to a 2011 publication in Yale Scientific Magazine, target weight loss is a myth (12). This is backed up by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) which argues that weight loss happens across the body in response to calorie reduction, which can be created through strength training, aerobics, and minimizing calorie intake (9). We can therefore conclude that rapid spot treatment is almost impossible, therefore, tips on how to lose leg fat and any excess body fat are applicable because the thighs are part of the leg.
Legs and thighs have several muscles, for example, adductors, quadriceps, hamstrings, tibialis anterior soleus, and gastrocnemius. The most common type of fat cells in the thighs are the subcutaneous fat cells which are right beneath the skin and may result in fewer long-term health issues (7). Another type of fat cell in the leg area is the intramuscular fat cell which is dispersed within the muscle itself (7). Even though you may not spot-reduce thigh fat, you can spot train muscles to strengthen and tone them (15). Here are some of the exercises to perform.
1. Aerobic Exercise
Aerobics, for example, walking, cycling, dancing, or swimming, help burn overall body fat. They are cardiovascular training activities that increase the heart and breathing rate (15). Cycling is one of the best aerobic exercises for legs because its low intensity does not strain the knees, and it increases muscle endurance in the hamstrings, glutes, calves, and quadriceps (7). You may cycle for 1 hour 3-5 times weekly. Alternatively, you can invest in a home exercise bike to lose thigh weight quickly.
The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) recommends that adults should do 75 to 150 minutes vigorous aerobics and 150 to 300 minutes of moderate ones each week (10). Moderate aerobics include taking stairs, biking at a casual pace, actively playing with children, brisk walking, light snow shoveling, and raking leaves. In contrast, vigorous aerobic activities include running or jogging, rollerblading or inline skating at a fast pace, the majority of competitive sports like soccer, swimming, cross-country skiing, and jumping rope (8) (9).
Running, for example, is a full-body workout that may help get rid of thigh fat. If you are more energetic, you can sprint or try a high-intensity interval training workout. You can run outdoors or purchase a treadmill for indoor use. Select the exercise that you can complete at with moderate intensity for your heart rate to increase and maximize calorie burn.
BetterMe app will kick you out of the mental funk, shake off your extra weight, rid you off you energy-zapping habits, and help you sculpt the body of your dreams. Intrigued? Hurry up and change your life for the better!
2. Workouts To Strengthen The Muscle
It is important to strengthen your muscles as you lose fat so that the legs are toned. This means engaging in workouts performed against resistance to build strength and muscular endurance (15). According to the American College of Sports Medicine, adults should do 8 to 10 multi-joint exercises 2-3 times a week (1). These workouts simultaneously impact on several muscles, therefore, burn more calories (15).
Although you can use free weights, bands, or rowing machines for leg-strengthening, some are effective for the leg and do not require special equipment. Multi-joint exercises include:
An example of comprehensive leg workout is the lunges, which tones the hamstrings and quads, in addition to being an effective exercise on how to lose thigh fat and butt fat for men (7). In most cases, the male butt has lower fat content than that of women, but if you want to make your butt leaner and tone, cycling and lunges will do a great job. Here are the steps for doing lunges appropriately, as provided by Healthline (7):
- Stand straight with hands on hips if you need extra balance.
- Place your right foot at the front and left one behind.
- Bend the right leg at the knee to create a 90degrees angle. The right knee should not extend beyond the ankle, to prevent injury.
- Press your bodyweight down into your heels, then press back to the starting position
- Repeat the steps several times before switching the legs.
Lunges With Weights
- Have two 5-8 pound dumbells.
- Standing straight and holding a dumbbell in each hand, hang your arms at the sides. Your palms should face the thighs, i.e. hammer grip and the feet should be slightly less than shoulder-width apart.
- Lunge ahead (take a big step forward) one leg and bend the knee 1-2 inches above the ground or until the front thigh is parallel to the floor, landing on the heel. The leg that steps forward should not have its knee past the toe tips.
- Breath in as you go down. You should bend your rear leg at the knee and balance on the toes.
- Breathing out, step back to the start position, and repeat the process with the other leg and hand. Repeat 10-20 times to complete one set. Do 2-3 sets.
When doing lunges:
- The knee of the leg stepping forward should not extend beyond the toes as you bend. This will prevent an injury that may be caused when the knee joint is aggravated.
- Align the back knee with your body. It should be pointed at the floor at the bottom of the lunge to avoid knee pain.
- The back should be straight and torso upright as you lunge. Use a lighter weight if facing this problem.
Another useful exercise for losing thigh fat and butt fat for men is squats, which target the hamstrings, quadriceps, and gastrocnemius in the calves (2). You may perform 3 sets of 10 reps 3-5 days a week. There are various ways of doing squats; however, the basic one is done by:
- Standing with feet shoulder-width apart, or slightly more.
- Bend knees to lower your butt until the thighs are parallel to the floor.
- Hold for 3 to 5 seconds then push forward and repeat.
Straight Leg Deadlifts
This works the hamstrings, and you may use a pair of dumbbells or barbells. Do 3 sets each 10 reps 3-5 days a week. Here are the steps to follow:
- Hold a weight on each hand.
- Like lunges, stand feet shoulder-width apart.
- Arms straight and resting just below hip level, hold the weights in front of your body.
- Bend your knees, slightly, as you hinge hips and lower the torso towards the ground. You may allow the weights to touch the ground, or simply go down as far as you can.
- Raise back to starting position using hips.
- Your back should be straight throughout, and shoulders should not be arched or hunched.
Standing Calf Raises
Standing calf raises target the calf gastrocnemius muscle (2). You may do 3 sets of 10 reps 3-5 days a week. Here are the steps to follow:
- On a raised platform such as a single step or side of a bench, place your feet in a way that the heels hang off at the end and toes rest on the edge. Have some stable support or a partner nearby to hold onto.
- Grasping the nearby support to keep balance, raise your heels up by extending your ankles and pointing your toes.
- Lower the heels back to the start position. This will be one rep, so repeat the steps 10 times for a complete set.
Apart from the exercise procedures described above, you can perform leg presses, lying butt bridge, hamstring curls, and back kick. Other strength training workouts include sit ups, pullups, pushups, and weightlifting (8). Chores such as digging also qualify as strength-training workouts (8). It is recommended that adults should engage in at least 2 muscle-strength training sessions every week (10).
Cardio workouts are also helpful because they pump your heart rate, causing your body to burn excess fat. You can also participate in other sports such as football, badminton, and basketball that engage the entire body and particularly the thighs. Note that switching between different exercises will challenge the various muscle groups, making them stronger. According to the Department of Health and Human Services, you should combine strength training and aerobic exercise to reap maximum benefits (10).
How to lose thigh fat for men with bodybuilding will be more effective if you progressively workout. This means that you should always strive to work your body a little bit harder each time (13). Challenging your body with a stress that is strong enough to force it to make improvements will help you attain your weight loss goal. While strength training, perform more reps, increase resistance, use static holds, move the weight slower, add an additional set, and change the workouts. For cardiovascular workouts, increase the pace and exercise period, cross-train, include intervals, and if possible use an incline (13).
Diet-Related Tips On How To Lose Thigh And Stomach Fat For Men
In addition to working out, observe the following:
1. Minimize your calorie intake
Excess body fat is a result of an unhealthy lifestyle, including eating habits. You need to minimize your calorie intake so that the body can tap energy from the excess fats. Follow a healthy weight loss diet that is not too restrictive so that you can easily stick to the meal plan. Consult your nutritionist who will recommend the ideal eating plan that is tailor-made for your body.
- The daily caloric intake for men is usually higher than that of women because males are generally more muscular than women, and so their thighs are more muscular than those of women. Also, men have a slightly higher resting metabolism than women. To lose 1 pound of fat, you must burn 3500 calories more than what you consume, so calculate your daily calorie needs and consume slightly less than that to progressively lose weight.
2. Eat healthy foods
Your diet should comprise of nutritionally rich foods to keep your body functioning properly. These include vegetables, fruits, proteins, healthy oils, and whole foods, among others, as recommended by the National Institutes of Health (3). Avoid junk foods and drinks, as well as other processed foods containing additives such as sugar and non-organic flavors and colorings.
Lean and toned up body isn’t just a far-fetched fantasy. Check out the BetterMe app and watch it propel your weight loss journey into high gear!
3. Drink beverages with zero calories
Drink more water and cut on energy drinks, alcohol, sodas, and fruit juices with added sugars, more calories, and zero nutritional value (15). On top of being calorie-free, water will flush out toxins from the body. It also keeps you from dehydration (which may mimic hunger) and prevents you from overeating. Other healthy drinks include green tea that has zero fat, fewer calories, and acts as an antioxidant.
4. Minimize your salt intake
Since water follows salt, i.e. sodium, that is why when you are dehydrated, your skin becomes dry and the urine is scant and concentrated (11). This means that too much salt intake results in the body retaining water, causing bloating and fluid imbalance (14). Minimize your salt intake by cutting back your consumption of processed foodstuffs such as canned juice, sauce, and soups loaded with sodium. Consume more of the other types of electrolytes such as magnesium, calcium, and potassium from a healthy diet to keep the body fluid balance stable and for the body to retain less salt (4). These can be obtained from yogurt, green leafy vegetables, and bananas, among others.
Track your progress by having a journal where you record everything you eat and the workouts one daily. You need to be patient and committed to obtaining lean, strong, and well-toned thighs. Losing overall weight will make you look slimmer, so do not concentrate only on the leg area. After losing thigh fat, you need to eat right, regularly engage in physical activity, and minimize stress so that you do not go back to where you came from. Note that losing thigh fat not only boosts your confidence but also enhances your overall body composition, making you healthier.
This guide on how to lose thigh fat for men should help you regain your confidence by toning the thigh area and making it appealing, in the long run. The results will also be long-lasting. Bear in mind that leg transformation takes time and requires consistency, so do not get frustrated trying to learn how to lose thigh fat for men fast. Consult the relevant experts, i.e. your doctor, nutritionist, and personal trainer before delving into any of the above remedies, so that they can approve and customize the ideal routine for you.
Check out the 20 Minute Full Body Workout at Home below.
This article is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional advice or help and should not be relied on to make decisions of any kind. Any action you take upon the information presented in this article is strictly at your own risk and responsibility!
- ACSM Guidelines for Strength Training | Featured Download (2019, acsm.org)
- Build Massive Calves With These Workouts (2020, menshealth.com)
- Eating & Physical Activity to Lose or Maintain Weight (2019, niddk.nih.gov)
- Electrolytes: Definition, Functions, Imbalance and Sources (2018, healthline.com)
- How Men Can Lose Leg Fat Quickly (2018, livehealthy.chron.com)
- How to Do Dumbbell Lunges (2019, verywellfit.com)
- How to Lose Leg Fat (2020, healthline.com)
- How to Lose Thigh Fat for Men (n.d, livestrong.com)
- Physical Activity for a Healthy Weight (n.d, cdc.gov)
- Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans 2nd edition (2019, health.gov )
- Salt and your health, Part I: The sodium connection (2010, health.harvard.edu)
- Targeted Fat Loss: Myth or Reality? (2011, yalescientific.org)
- Targeting Those Trouble Areas! (2019, bodybuilding.com)
- This Common Ingredient Is Making You More Bloated Than Your Period (2016, teenvogue.com)
- What are the best ways to lose leg fat? (2020, medicalnewstoday.com)